Camping under the stars, campfire burning and a cosy sleeping bag waiting for you in the tent is nothing short of magical for us adventurous folk. However, we know that it can be a logistical balancing act to ensure you're fully prepared for an off-grid adventure with your furry friend.
While the idea of camping with your dog might seem daunting, it doesn't have to be. In this comprehensive guide, we'll cover off purpose-built dog camping gear, expert tips to make your camping trip seamless as well as the best dog friendly campgrounds across Australia.
Top Tips for Camping with Dogs
Before you leash up and jump in the car, here are our top tips for a stress-free camping trip with your dog:
- Pre-Trip Vet Visit: Put your mind at ease with a pre-trip vet visit for a quick health check, especially for longer camping trips.
- Practice Tent Time: Familiarise your dog with the tent before your trip to avoid a sleepless first night and a comfortable doggo.
- Keep Your Dog Hydrated: Bring lots of water to keep your furry friend hydrated and make every effort to keep him/her from drinking out of lakes and rivers.
- Respect Wildlife: At night, keep your dog inside the tent to keep him/her and local widlife out of harms way.
- Routine and Comfort: Stick to the familiar routine with your dog's regular food, water, and bedding.
- Check Local Regulations: Make sure to check that you're camping at designated dog-friendly campsites. To keep things simple, we always use Hipcamp.
- Emergency Plan: Stress less with knowledge of nearby vet services in case of emergencies, and keep a dog first aid kit on hand.
- Patience and Positive Reinforcement: Keep things stress-free by being patient and using positive reinforcement for good behavior.